Re: Comments on DOM XPath WD

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: 19 Feb 2002 18:50:07 -0500
To: "Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>
Cc: "'www-dom@w3.org'" <www-dom@w3.org>
On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 16:28, Arnold, Curt wrote:
> Did a quick read.  The only two issues that immediately came to my mind have
> already been raised by Jonas Sicking in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2002JanMar/0106.html and
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2002JanMar/0113.html.
> XPathResult should be removed as a parameter from the evaluate methods of
> XPathEvaluator and XPathExpression since effective reuse is unlikely and
> potential reuse is problematic and the ECMAScript binding should explicitly
> address the implementation of XPathNSResolver by scripting code.

If you apply several times a query that return a number, what would
prevent you of reusing the XPathResult? I can see for a node-set
conditions where you cannot reuse it but that would depend on how you
implement it.

> the ECMAScript binding should explicitly address the implementation
> of XPathNSResolver by scripting code.

agree. I do have some code somewhere to add this support in the XML
markup using role='ecmascript-function' (or role='java-only' if the
method/attribute should not appear in the ECMA binding).

Philippe