Re: HTML WG Last Call Remarks to DOM 2 HTML

> Steven, in order to finish addressing the issues from the HTML
> WG, we would like a clarification:
>
> On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 10:59, Steven Pemberton wrote:
> [[
> Mixture of semantics: name and id. The 'name' attribute has zero
> semantics in XHTML. So HTMLCollection.namedItem should only search for
> id attributes in XHTML, and ignore 'name' attributes. For XHTML,
> HTMLDocument.getElementsByName should only return form controls with
> matching name.
> ]]
>
> should it read
> [[
> Mixture of semantics: name and id. The 'name' attribute has zero
> semantics in XHTML. So HTMLCollection.namedItem should only search for
> id attributes in XHTML, and ignore 'name' attributes. For _HTML_,
> HTMLDocument.getElementsByName should only return form controls with
> matching name.
> ]]
> or
> [[
> Mixture of semantics: name and id. The 'name' attribute has zero
> semantics in XHTML. So HTMLCollection.namedItem should only search for
> id attributes in XHTML, and ignore 'name' attributes. For XHTML, name
> is only relevant in form controls, therefore
> HTMLDocument.getElementsByName should only return form controls with
> matching name.
> ]]

The latter formulation is correct.

> According to section 4.10 in http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs ,
> it doesn't seem that the attribute name is deprecated in forms control
> too.

Correct. The name attribute on form elements is quite different to the name
attribute for fragment use. All usage of 'name' as an equivalent of 'id' was
deprecated in HTML4, and removed in XHTML 1. The other usage (on form
elements) remains.

> Otherwise, we are almost done with other issues. As an heads-up, you can
> look at
> http://www.w3.org/2001/12/DOM-Level-2-issues
> (I of course expect to send a complete to the HTML WG in any case)

Thanks!

Best wishes,

Steven