Re: DOM Level 2 Last Call pending open issues

From: Johnny Stenback <jst@netscape.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:21:35 -0800
To: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
CC: www-dom@w3.org
Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> As a reminder, for those who are interested in following our progress
> on the DOM Level 2 HTML draft, have a look at:
> http://www.w3.org/2001/12/DOM-Level-2-issues
> I'll reply directly to the commenter in any case.
> Regarding i6, i7 and i9, Glenn gave us some feedback on the backward
> compatibility with IE3. Here is his authorized forwarded message:
> Glenn Adams wrote:
>>I've looked at the three open issues on the DOM-2 HTML Module, and have the
>>following comments based on my experience implementing the Spyglass Device
>>Mosaic 3 DOM, which was based on reverse engineering of IE3 and NN3 behavior
>>(and having to resolve occasional differences between the two):
>>*** I6 HTMLFormElement::submit           ***
>>In DM3, the invocation of the submit() method causes the firing of the
>>ONSUBMIT event prior to performing its intended semantics, and, if the event
>>returns a value that is equivalent (coercable) to FALSE, then those intended
>>semantics (form submission) are ignored.
>>The same held in DM3 for the reset() method, which fired an ONRESET event
>>(this event was introduced by NN3).

I checked with Netscape 3.0, 4.7, 6.x and with IE5.5, neither of which
fire the onsubmit event when the submit method is called on a form.

>>*** I7 HTMLInputElement::size            ***
>>This property was interpreted as an integer by IE3 and DM3, so I see no
>>problem with changing the IDL definition to a numeric type.

No versions of Netscape prior to 6.0 supported the input.size property,
so it seems like this should be changed to a number (it's a string in
Netscape 6.0+, but we can change that in the next release).

>>*** I9 HTMLSelectElement::options.length ***
>>In IE3 and DM3, the object referenced by the options property was definitely
>>read-only, and did not support changing its length (i.e., number of items). I
>>believe this feature was introduced in NN3.

Both select.length and select.options.length (select === select.options
in versions earlier than 6.0 of Netscape) have been read-write in
Netscape sinze 3.0.