split-cdata-sections false

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 14:25:29 -0500
To: www-dom@w3.org
In the normalizeDocument() method of the Document interface in the
latest DOM core draft, we have the following text:

"split-cdata-sections"

    true
        [required] (default)
    Split CDATA sections containing the CDATA section termination marker
']]>'. When a CDATA section is split a warning is issued.false
        [required]
    Signal an error if a CDATASection contains an unrepresentable
character.

Clarity is needed about when the indicate warnings and error are
signalled. In particular, is this when normalizeDocument() is invoked?
when the document is serialized? some other time?

It's also not clear if such an error is somehow fatal. Such a node could
still be serialized by splitting the CDATA section when written into an
XML file or stream, even if it's not split in the document itself.

|               Java I/O (O'Reilly & Associates, 1999)               |
|            http://www.ibiblio.org/javafaq/books/javaio/            |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1565924851/cafeaulaitA/   |