RE: onClick handlers vs DOMActivate

On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 20:41, Brad Pettit wrote:
> On Friday, May 31, 2002 11:41 AM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> >>Hitting enter on a focused element would trigger both the DOMActivate and Click event.
>
> I find the mixing of the event models confusing at best. For example, button.click()
> should result in the firing of both onClick and DOMActivate events, right? When
> do these events fire relative to each other, and when does the default action
> occur?

The following clarification seems appropriate:
"The activate event occurs when an element's default action is
activated, for instance, thru a mouse click."

> With a mix of bubbling, capturing, cancelling, preventDefault and
> the old event model, description of the proper behavior in a mixed environment
> would really help. The spec is not clear on this.

With the clarification and the definition of click, I believe the spec
should be clear.

> What implementations support the mixed event model?

I'm not aware of any implementation that supports this mixed event
model. This is a concern for the DOM Level 3 Events Candidate
Recommendation period in fact.

Philippe