Re: DOM Level 3 Events module, question and wording

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: 04 Jun 2002 17:36:32 -0400
To: Thierry Kormann <tkormann@ilog.fr>
Cc: Www-Dom <www-dom@w3.org>

On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 05:00, Thierry Kormann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> According to the DOM Level3 Events module, the 'createEvent' method on
> the 'DocumentEvent' interface does not take a namespaceURI. I am
> curious to know whether or not the DOM WG has not found any issue with
> that.

AS far as I read the draft, the parameter represents the type of Event
interface ("UIEvent") to be created, not the type event itself. However,
more reading leads to think that the parameter is in fact the feature
name of the Event interface ("UIEvents"). There is clearly something to
fix here.

> I mean that users can initialize an event with a namespaceURI and an
> eventType, but an implementation does not need to know the
> namespaceURI to create the object?

background:
XML Events introduced namespaces for event types, ie the type of an
event is {"http://www.w3.org/2001/xml-events", "DOMActivate"} instead of
"DOMActivate". There is currently a proposal to include this mechanism
in DOM Level 3 Events however it is not clear if it is going to remain
in XML Events, this explains why the draft is currently on hold.

The user creates an object of type UIEvent:
DocumentEvent.createEvent("UIEvents") and then initialize with the
appropriate parameters ("http://www.w3.org/2001/xml-events",
"DOMActivate", ...)

> BTW: In the 'createEvent' method of the 'DocumentEvent' interface, the
> wording used to describe the interfaceType parameter should mention
> 'initUIEventNS' rather than 'initUIEvent'.

initUIEvent is given as an example but I agree that the example should
better recommend the use of initUIEventNS than initUIEvent.

Philippe