Re: Mutation Events and Null values

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 15:51:04 -0400
To: "Brad Pettit" <bradp@microsoft.com>
Cc: <www-dom@w3.org>

>In order to be DOM-compliant, are prevValueArg, newValueArg and
attrNameArg
>required to be non-null for those MutationEvent types for which they
apply?

Yes.

>It seems like supporting this requirement for prevValue could degrade
>overall UA performance

In general mutation events are a performance challenge simply because
they're so pervasive and uncontrolled. You can  do some things with
partially deferred computation, or with suppressing events unless there are
active listeners; I believe Xerces' implementation demonstrates a few
simple ideas along those lines.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research