RE: DOM events - mousewheel?

>jonathan chetwynd wrote:
>The fact is they are different, riding a bike and turning the lights off are
>very different types of action.
>So that we can design systems that enable button users to travers hundreds
>of clicks swiftly, and wheel users to migrate slowly.

Just as the "hover" pseudoclass doesn't require the node to have focus, neither does mousewheel. In fact, one could say it's an event that is usually applied to the hovered element.

"mousewheel" is as deserving of a separate MouseEvent as click or any of the others; tying it too closely to "scroll" would be a mistake in my opinion.

A "wheel" variation of MouseEvent, perhaps with gradations of 1 instead of 120, seems like a great idea.

Brad Pettit
Microsoft Corp.