Re: DOM events - mousewheel?

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: 17 Apr 2002 14:39:27 -0400
To: Dmitry Kirsanov <dmitry@kirsanov.com>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org
On Fri, 2002-04-05 at 23:59, Dmitry Kirsanov wrote:
> I would like to see a mousewheel event added to the list of mouse events
> in the spec. Mouse wheel has become one of the primary browser controls
> for many people, so DOM should support it. IE6 implements it already.

Why would you need a mousewheel event? the button attribute could be
used to simulate the wheel, such as in XWindow systems.
btw, the current intent for events is to describe them at the semantic
level instead of the device level. DOMActivate was created with this
idea, ie it is better to react to a DOMActivate than a mouseclick or
keyboard event.

Philippe