Re: pseudoElt argument to getComputedStyle()

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 18:11:59 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: www-dom@w3.org, www-style@w3.org, caillon@returnzero.com
Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> The second argument to getComputedStyle() is defined as:
> pseudoElt of type DOMString
>    The pseudo-element or null if none.
> This seems to me to be very much under-specified.
> For example, is "first-letter" an acceptable value of "pseudoElt"?  What
> about ":first-letter"?  What about "::first-letter"?  [...]

This was briefly (and unofficially) discussed at the last CSSWG meeting and the
general feeling of those who discussed it was that the colons should me there.
So ':before', '::before' and '::selection' would all be valid and would make
sense, while 'before', 'selection' and ':selection' would be invalid.

This isn't an official answer though. As much work is planned on the CSSOM spec,
we will hopefully clarify this at some point in the future.

Ian Hickson
``The inability of a user agent to implement part of this specification due to
the limitations of a particular device (e.g., non interactive user agents will
probably not implement dynamic pseudo-classes because they make no sense
without interactivity) does not imply non-conformance.'' -- Selectors, Sec13