Re: Entity references in Attr values

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:47:15 -0500
To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org

What does the XML spec say the value should be in that case?

Offhand, I think your choices are to either kick the user with an error
message, or drop in an EntityReference node with null content (which
therefore would not affect the attribute's string value), or (if you're
flattening entity references) just drop the EntityReference (least useful),
or some combination of the above. But I'd suggest you recheck the XML
and/or Infoset RECs first to find out whether my memory of how unresolved
entity refs may be handled is accurate.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research