Re: Enumeration of EventListeners in DOM Level 3 Events

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:23:24 -0600
To: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Cc: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org, www-dom@w3.org
David,
These are the types of things that can be a major problem to people with
disabilities.

The user agent accessibility guidelines has requirements to allow the user
agent to control the automatic opening of windows.

Jon

At 10:56 AM 12/12/2001 -0800, David Brownell wrote:
> > 3. Someone with a cognitive disability does not want to have new windows
> > opened when they load a web resource.  By looking for "onLoad" events ...
>
>Would that be a way to prevent certain kinds of
>"browser capture" by annoying advertisers?   Stuff
>like "disable the back button", "pop-unders", and
>of course pop-ups ... it's not just disabled folk who
>would rather rid the world of such monstrosities!
>
>Actually I'd rather see some root cause fixes for
>that sort of thing, like standard security policies
>disabling those behaviors.  I'm skeptical about
>such sanity becoming the norm, unfortunately.
>
>- Dave

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
MC-574
College of Applied Life Studies
1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820

Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248

E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu

WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund