Re: What is the meaning of the DOM ECMAScript binding?

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 17:53:31 -0000
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
"Joseph Kesselman":
> > with ECMAScript to author scripts that will function in any browser
> >  how am I supposed to accomplish my goal?
>
> Beat the browser authors into coming up with a standard for that next
level
> of architecture.

The problem is pretty hypothetical, even without a standard everyone
follows the window/document combination, and this isn't likely to change,
and you can work with it, there are simple techniques if anyone did.

> I do understand your problem, but it's unavoidable. Saying
> "window.document" begs the question of where "window" came from, and so
on,
> and on, and on...

There's some support in ECMAScript Ed 3 10.1.5 which states "in the HTML
document object model the window property of the global object is the
global object itself."

Jim.