RE: getElementsByTagNameNS

From: Arnold, Curt <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:20:19 -0600
To: "'www-dom@w3.org'" <www-dom@w3.org>
Julian F. Reschke wrote:

> Is it generally true that with the DOM level 2 methods, a
> namespaceUri of
> (null) can be used for elements which arent's in a namespace,
> while the behaviour for "" (empty string) is undefined?

The specs is written in terms of null strings, however not all potential "DOMString"'s have a representation for null (for example, C++ Standard Template Libraries std::basic_string<>, Mozilla's
nsString and ECMAScript's String).

This results in most uses of null as an string argument from Jscript or Javascript within a browser to fail and so "" is safer in practice, but relies on non specified behavior.

I believe the Work Group is trying to find a resolution to this, there was an errata for hasFeature() to address this for its case.