Re: [Events] removeEventListener on EventListeners currently being processed

From: Curt Arnold <carnold@houston.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 12:17:20 -0500
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
Cc: "Michael B. Allen" <mballen@erols.com>
This was discussed just a little while ago in a thread primarily on the
xerces-j-dev list but with a few messages cc'd here.  Particularly,
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2001JulSep/0225.html addresses
this issue.

The current implementation of Xerces-J can dispatch events to a listener
that has been removed.  This shows up in one of my personal DOM Events tests
that are part of domunit (part of the http://xmlconf.sourceforge.net
project) that I anticipate donating to the W3C/NIST DOM testing effort when
we get to Level 2.

In the following passage, my original statement is preceded by >>
"Arnaud Le Hors" <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote (>)

> > The third test checks removing an event listener in the middle of an
> > event dispatch sequence.  The spec says that a listener should recieve
> > no events after removal.
>
> You're right there, that's what the spec currently says. But the spec is
> wrong, though. It is meant to say the opposite. I just double-checked
> with Joe Kesselman who was very much involved in the development of that
> spec and who implemented it in Xerces and he confirmed my fears.
> I will bring it up to the DOM Working Group, I would expect an erratum
> to be published.

Xerces-C does not have an Events implementation currently and I don't know
of any plans to add one.

I'm not either a W3C or DOM WG member or a Xerces committer, so nothing here
is definitive, but I believe that it is reasonably correct.