Re: value property of the HTMLSelectElement

> am 09.08.2001 19:16 Uhr schrieb David Flanagan unter david@oreilly.com:
>
> > the value attribute of a select element s is the same thing as
> > s.options[s.selectedIndex].value.
>
> More exactly:
>
> - If no option is selected, SELECT.value is the empty string (NC 4.x
returns
> null, but all modern browsers return the empty string in this case)

All Modern Browsers? AvantGo 4 for example doesn't, and is pretty modern!

> - Setting SELECT.value has no effect in current implementations.

Not in my experience/testing, in IE5.5 and Mozilla 0.9.2 (win98) for
example, it changes the select box such that the selected option is the
first element with that value (if no element has that value, then all are
deselected and the select displays nothing in IE/the previous value in
Mozilla.)

Jim.