value property of the HTMLSelectElement

From: David Flanagan <david@oreilly.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 17:46:41 -0700
To: www-dom@w3.org
Cc: david@oxymoron.oreilly.com

The DOM Level 1 specification (1st edition) and the working draft of the
DOM Level 2 HTML specification both specify that the HTMLSelectElement
interface has a property named "value" which is documented as "the
current value of the form control".

The HTMLSelectElement is defined in terms of the <SELECT> tag in the HTML
4.0 specification, but the <SELECT> tag does not have a VALUE
attribute.  To the best of my knowledge, typical Level 0 implementations
do not define a value property for select elements, either.

I see two possibilities here, both requiring a change to the spec:

1) This is an error, and the spec should be changed to remove the value
   property from the HTMLSelectElement

2) This is not an error, and the value property was intentionally part
   of HTMLSelectElement.  In this case, however, the current
   documentation of the property is insufficient, and the spec needs to
   be clarified

Anyone have other ideas?

       David Flanagan