getElementsByTagName() and case-sensitivity for HTML documents

From: David Flanagan <david@oreilly.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 23:04:19 -0700
To: www-dom@w3.org
As far as I know, the getElementsByTagName() method of the Document and
Element interfaces does not care what capitalization you use when you
specify the tag name: it does a case-insensitive compare, or normalizes
the tag names to all uppercase or all lowercase or something.

However, I cannot find where the spec  actually says this.   Am I
missing it somewhere, or does the spec need to be clarified, or am
I just wrong about the behavior of this method.

    David Flanagan