Re: DOM Level 3 XPath: editorial, use case analysis, and counterproposal

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:26:18 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org

>I think any asynchronous implementation must
>behave as though it is synchronous, blocking until the necessary data is

I believe we've said officially that DOM implementations _may_ throw
implementation-specific exceptions if/when their implementation-specified
bounds are exceeded. Normally that's taken to mean things like running out
of storage. Running out of time strikes me as entirely analagous, so if
someone wanted to throw a timeout exception I'd consider that reasonable...
and out of the scope of the current DOM spec.

In any case, this issue would pervade the entire remote-DOM implementation,
and hence is not an XPath issue per se.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research