Re: Why no concurrency support in DOM?

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 17:53:43 -0400
To: <www-dom@w3.org>

We've looked at this several times. Last time we discussed it, the
consensus seemed to be that per-operation concurrency was not particularly
useful -- too much overhead for too little gain. Many logical operations on
a document require an extended series of DOM operatations, so any
concurrency control would really want to operate at that level. It's
unclear that putting explicit transaction locking featues into the DOM
would really be any easier to use or more efficient than implementing them
in the application code.

This question is still on our Open Issues list and may -- or may not -- be
addressed in a future version of the DOM.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research