RE: Read-only and removeChild/replaceChild

From: Watson, Christopher <CWatson@lightspan.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:39:41 -0700
To: WWW DOM <www-dom@w3.org>
> DOM Level 1, and Level 2, have two specific cases in which nodes
> will be read-only: when they're  Entity or EntityReference nodes
> or are descendents of one of these.

I have got to find a "Entity and EntityReference Objects for Dummies"
document somewhere. I am just NOT getting it. The spec is too concise for
me. I need some unbridled prose to help me understand what all the
relationships are, where and how they live, what in the source document
prompts a DOM implemenation to create an EntityReference node, and how it is
supposed to "link up" to an Entity.

Anyone got a URL I can look at for this?
<!-- Joseph has already summarized for me priovately (thanks!), and pointed
me to the XML Recommendation. -->

>> For that matter, when a child is removed or replaced, what is
>> supposed to happen to it's Node.ownerDocument?

> See http://www.w3.org/DOM/faq.html#ownerdoc.

Thanks, Joseph. I've now printed out the FAQ, and I will keep it by my side.

Christopher Watson
Sr. Software Engineer
Lightspan, Inc.