Re: NodeList (Re: CSS::SAC)

From: Ken MacLeod <ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us>
Date: 21 Mar 2001 09:52:57 -0600
To: "Joseph Kesselman" <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Robin Berjon <robin@knowscape.com>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, www-dom@w3.org
"Joseph Kesselman" <keshlam@us.ibm.com> writes:

> If the NodeList returned by a DOM call isn't live, you can't claim to
> comply to the DOM specification.

Understood.

> If you really want a non-live "snapshot" array, I would recommend
> that you create a new class and a new method to retrieve it -- as
> long as you're going to be incompatable anyway, you might as well
> make the difference visible and official.

It's generally not a matter of "wanting a snapshot" as much as caring
whether or not the result of get_elements_by_tag_name() is or is not
live.  If one cares, be sure to select an implementation that does not
have that feature or it is disabled.

Like the Python folks, it's likely that the "core" XML modules in Perl
will be small and lightweight implementations, and possibly not 100%
conformant.  Whereas the larger, more conformant implementations will
be seperate add-ons.  By far, most if not all of our users seem very
comfortable with this approach.

  -- Ken