RE: measurements

From: Cameron Hart <cameron@bitshifter.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:27:52 -0000
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
> Yes, IMO it's out of scope.
>
> DOM concerns itself only with the document, not a current rendering of
> it. Even when you set an HTML element's position with the likes of
> "x.style.top= '20px'", you're only simulating adding the inline style
> "top: 20px" to the document, not directly telling the browser to
> place the element.

It is a practical consideration to be able to set and retrieve information
on how the browser renders a page. I'm not a browser developer, but I'm sure
all browsers know the size of an element internally, surely they would have
to to be able to render a page. It would be great to have a standard way of
accessing this information.

I'm quite suprised this issue hasn't been covered in the DOM before.

> It's not very glamourous from a forward-looking point-of-view, but
> I believe it'd help a lot of people if this area were standardised.

It would definetly help anyone writing DHTML applications IMHO.

Cameron.