Re: Node.attributes readonly?

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:11:24 -0500
To: "Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org>
Cc: Dieter Köhler <dieter.koehler@ppp.uni-bamberg.de>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>

> What I *would* like is a way to determine that a DOM object is
> read-only;

Other than trying it and letting it throw the exception, I presume
<smile/>.

Currently, the only officially-blessed condition under which nodes become
readonly is when they're within the value of an EntityReference. There is
some interest in coming up with a more official definition of read-only
documents or subtrees -- it's on the Open Isses list -- but at this time
it's unclear how much of that might or might not be included in DOM Level
3; it's not currently one of our top priorities, though the XSLT folks have
inquired about it since they want a way to say that their input tree Must
Not be altered during stylesheet processing.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research