Re: XML

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 09:10:14 -0500
To: www-dom@w3.org

>would it be better to read the tag from the XML
>template, them insert the data or it's better to write the whole document
>from scratch.

I'm not sure I'm following the question.

If you're asking whether it would be better to generate an XML document
programmatically or via something like an XSLT stylesheet, the answer is
that this depends entirely on your own application and how you prefer to
approach the problem.

Some related comments appear in http://www.w3.org/DOM/faq.html#SAXandDOM,
though that mostly focuses on DOM versus SAX.

Many, many XML tutorials have been written. Unfortunately, I don't know of
a good master list that reviews them all... The "Education" section of
http://www.ibm.com/developer/xml/ points to a number of good tutorials,
most of which are free. If you're new to XML,
http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/elementsAndAttrs.html is good advice on one
of the most basic stylistic questions, that of whether to use attributes or
child elements in any given situation. http://www.xml.com/ has had some
good artiicles.

I hope something in this answer's been vaguely useful....

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research