Comments on DOM XPath

From: Kamiya, Taki <TKamiya@iona.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 22:52:58 -0400 (EDT)
To: "'www-dom@w3.org'" <www-dom@w3.org>
Hi,

I am glad to see a W3C WD for XPath API integrated with DOM finally issued.

The draft seems to be a good and useful starting point!

On quick look at the document, here are my initial 2 cents.

- Section 1.2 should discuss how parent axis is to be handled for attribute
  nodes. In XPath, attributes are not deemed as children of an element while
  attributes have their parent element. Do we use "getOwnerElement" to match
  to XPath semantics?

- interface NamespaceResolver needs to have a method to return default
  namespaceURI, such as "getDefaultNamespaceURI()".

- Some implementation may compile XPath into C++/Java code for run-time
  performance improvement. It would be nice if the API were structured to
  make such implementation strategy accomodated in the model.

-Takuki Kamiya