Maybe someone can tell us

From: Gavin Stokes <gavin@AmbitiousProductions.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:02:34 -0700
why the DOM version 1 didn't specify a means of getting the actual XML out
of the DOM document.  I'm not really talking about loading and saving
files, but rather just getting the contents of the DOM doc as a big string
at least.

Does someone have a historical perspective on this?  I'm trying to
implement some XML functionality with Xerces and I'm frustrated with the
hassle of writing reams of code just to get the DOM into usable XML.

How were people supposed to use the DOM without this basic feature?

Perhaps hearing a good rationale will make this onerous task less annoying.

Regards,
Gavin Stokes