DOM Mailing list, DOM, JDOM, demos (Re: guidance needed)

James Melton wrote:

> Joe: I agree with your assessment, and understand your point of view.
> The problem is that Tom didn't really get an answer, which may by itself
> be reason for him to start looking elsewhere.

A reminder:
[[[
The DOM public mailing list is for technical discussion on the design of the
Document Object Model (DOM). Comments on the public documents related to the
DOM are very welcome!
]]]
-- Document Object Model (DOM) Mailing Lists
http://www.w3.org/DOM/MailingList
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:50:31 GMT

It doesn't mean that we are not going to answer a DOM application question in
this mailing list but you need to understand that the time spent by the DOM WG
members to reply to these messages is not used to improve the current
recommendations or work on the DOM Level 3 drafts. We certainly cannot review
all DOM applications.
I hope that in a not-so-far future, we'll be able to have a bug tracking system
available to the Working Groups and the public. It will not improve our
responsiveness, but at least, we will track all the issues.

Regarding JDOM:

For those of you who are interested in JDOM, feel free to have a look at their
site and their appropriate mailing list:
http://www.jdom.org/
(btw, I was always said that JDOM was too confusing for the users since it was
too closed to DOM)

If you find an interesting functionality in JDOM, don't hesitate to ask for it
in the DOM API. At least, it will let you have the choice of the
implementation. As long as the proposal is reasonable and well integrated in
the overall XML and UI architectures, we will be happy to review it. The future
textContent property is a good example of a request from the users. Keep in
mind that nothing is simple in the DOM API and always requires long
discussions.

For those who are interested in performance comparaisons, I received this link
recently in my Inbox:
http://www.sosnoski.com/opensrc/xmlbench/results.html
(Feel free to interpret the results as you like, but try to not do it on this
mailing list :-) )

I recently made some few demos of DOM Level 2 and 1 on the DOM pages. Of course,
if you want to see them, you'll need a DOM Level 1 or 2 user agents. Regarding
a Java demo, the DOM specifications are already a good example even if we never
advertised that.

Bests regards,

Philippe
--
Philippe Le Hegaret - http://www.w3.org/People/LeHegaret/
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), DOM Activity Lead