re: nullpointer

    You are using a error prone technique to access a text node by
assuming that the companyName element will always have one text node as
its
content and no more. Unfortunately, there are several error conditions
that
can make this technique crash.
    Below is an effective way to iterate through all children of a node,
and
grabbing the content of their text nodes(and text nodes only):

    Element companyName = .....
    NodeList childNodes = companyName.getChildNodes();
    String name = "";
    for (int i=0; i < name.getLength(); i++) {
        if (childNodes.item(i).getNodeType() == TEXT_NODE) {
            name = name + childNodes.item(i).getNodeValue();
        }
    }

    At this point the 'name' variable will contain the content of all of
the
text nodes, or will be empty if no text nodes were present.
    Remember: Application developers using the DOM should never assume
anything. You should *always* do Node type checking, and *never* rely on
the
position of a node in context for anything(as there is no guarantee that
it
will be constant).

    Hope this helps,

    Eric Lawson
    Isogen International

Tom Leuntjens wrote:

> Fairly Simple Question,
>
> How do I make sure I don't get a null pointer exception (when the XML
> document has  <companyname></companyname> using this code.
> Documentation states this should be a null value
>
> But
>
>    if (companyname.item(i).getFirstChild().getNodeValue() != null) {
>
>       NodeList companyname = doc.getElementsByTagName("companyname");
>       String CompanyName =
> companyname.item(i).getFirstChild().getNodeValue();
>       out.print(CompanyName + "<br>");
>
>   }
>
> Doesn't do the trick
>
> And all resources on internet with good tutorials using JSP/DOM/XML
are
> welcome.
>
> regards,
> Tom