RE: guidance needed

Jim,
thanx for help so far , I see what you mean and thats what I need.
The example didn't work like coded. But I can't seem to get it to work if i
fool around with it as well :)

My XML looks like this

<companies>

 <company>
   <companyname>Sam test</companyname>
   <email>sam@bricsnet.Be</email>
 </company>

 <company>
   <companyname>Tom test</companyname>
   <email>tom@bricsnet.Be</email>
 </company>

</companies>

and code

Document doc = db.parse("http://127.0.0.1:81/company.xml");
NodeList companylist = doc.getElementsByTagName("company");

for (int i =0; i < companylist.getLength(); i++) {

		// so here i need to take the company name  item(0) (if it exist, had some
problems catching a nullpointer execpetion as well)

		    Node company = NodeList.item(i);
		    // also tried  Node company = companylist.item(i) ;
		    // thought that you need the company node i to be able to get the
companyname or something
    		    Node name = company.getElementsByTagName("companyname").item(0);
					// there is always only one company name ==> item(0) ??!!

}

exception : Method getElementsByTagName(java.lang.String) not found in
interface org.w3c.dom.Node

So what is going wrong here ?
I know I need to do it like this

If I'll use the following code in my loop I know I'll be in trouble

NodeList companyname = doc.getElementsByTagName("companyname");
String CompanyName =
companyname.item(i).getFirstChild().getNodeValue().toString();
out.print(CompanyName + "<br>");

Regards and thanx for any help you might be able to give,

Tom