Re: clarification needed : Computed Style Value of 'font-family'

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:41:13 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
To: Daniel Glazman <glazman@netscape.com>
cc: <www-dom@w3.org>, <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Daniel Glazman wrote:

> Let's suppose that the following CSS style declaration applies to a
> given element :
>
>   font-family : Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif
>
> What is the computed style value for 'font-family' on this element,
> supposing that Helvetica font is not available on the system but Arial is ?
>
> (a) "Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"
> (b) "Arial"
> (c) "Arial, sans-serif
>
> ????? I can't find any clue about it in DOM Level 2 or CSS 2 specs.

Since font-family is not relative, there is no reason for its specified
value and computed value to differ. Hence, a.

Note, however, that canonicalisation rules for CSS values may make that:

   "Helvetica", "Arial", sans-serif

i.e., font-family names would get quoted. (Canonicalisation of CSS values
is an open issue for CSS3.)

(Either way it is definitely not b (since all fonts can get used depending
on what glyphs an element with that font-family might contain).)

--
Ian Hickson                                            )\     _. - ._.)   fL
Invited Expert, CSS Working Group                     /. `- '  (  `--'