Dynamic Doctype generation

From: Olivier Dameron <olivier.dameron@chu-rennes.fr>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:42:39 +0200
To: www-dom@w3.org
   We are currently experiencing troubles in dynamically creating XML
files with explicit reference to PUBLIC and SYSTEM ids for DocumentType.
   DOM2 explicitly doesn't support editing DocumentType nodes [1],
publicId and systemId are readonly attributes.
   What is the deep reason why they are read-only ? We hacked
setPublicId(DOMString & value) and setSystemId(DOMString & value) and
couldn't find drawbacks. Any hint/comment on the subject are welcome.

[1] :

Oliver Fleig
Olivier Dameron