Re: Is document.<formName>.<fieldName>.value DOM-1 compliant

From: Glenn Adams <gadams@vgi.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 21:24:12 -0500
To: "David Brownell" <david-b@pacbell.net>
Cc: <www-dom@w3.org>
Actually, I do have "a DOM-0 spec" as it were. I wrote it into the Advanced
Television Systems Committee (ATSC) DASE (DTV Application Software Environment)
Declarative Applications (DA) specification. This spec precisely specifies
"DOM-0" legacy behavior as was expressed by a union of IE3 and NN3
functionality, roughly what one can describe as JavaScript 1.1. The material is
partly based on a new SMPTE standard underway to codify DOM-0 behavior for use
with ATVEF (Advanced Television Enhancement Forum) content.

While I would agree that the behavior being discussed is is not explicitly
supported in DOM-[12] or by Java bindings, it is universally supported by all
UAs that accommodate this well establish client-side JavaScript usage.
Notwithstanding this, if one is creating content for DOM-[12] and beyond, I
would recommend using DOM-[12] core functionality and not this technique.

Regards,
Glenn