Comments on Document Object Model Range

From: Elena Litani <hlitani@jtcsv.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 11:06:14 -0500
To: www-dom@w3.org
Hi,

I have been looking at Inserting Content (2.9) Range specs (Sept
27,2000).

When inserting node in a TEXT node, specs says:
"If the start boundary point of the Range is in a Text node, the
insertNode operation splits the Text node at the boundary point. If the
node to be inserted is also a Text node, the resulting adjacent Text
nodes are not normalized automatically; this operation is left to the
application."

However, what happens if the start offset of start boundary point is 0?
There is nothing to split there! If we do indeed split the Text node, we
end up with:
EMPTY text node->inserted Node->the Original TEXT node

From specifications this is not 'crystal' clear that this IS the case.

As far as I understand, it is too late to change specifications.
So for now, a small clarification in text would be appreciated.
Something like: 'You might end up with and EMPTY text node." So that
user can consider this case too, while normalizing text nodes.

However, I hope that this point could be addressed in a future
discussions, because, this is pretty inefficient to be left with EMPTY
TEXT node just because of the insertion...

Thank you,
Elena Litani