onSelectStart ?

From: Samar Abbas Lotia <salotia@iname.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:06:16 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
Looking at the DOM2 docs I found that the event model does not discuss a
"selectStart" event. This is something that I find extremely useful in MS'
DHTML object model.

With NS6/Gecko I do not quite know how to achieve the same effect. I want to
disallow selection of document text by the browser.

What I am trying to do is allow the user to drag/drop objects around the
page. I don't move the objects instead just flag the object being dragged
and provide feedback about potential drop locations. The events I use are
mousedown, mouseover, mouseout and mouseup to achieve the desired effect.
However, when the user starts "dragging" the browser begins selecting the
text on the page. Can anyone recommend a "correct" way for avoiding this
while sticking to the DOM1/DOM2 programming model.

Samar Lotia