Re: event capture and bubbling

From: John Ky <hand@syd.speednet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 03:06:05 +1000
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
> I understand that some events do not bubble, but is it correct to say that
> ALL events support capture? This seems to be implied by the DOM
> Level 2 Events CR based on the fact that you can ask an Event whether
> it bubbles but you cannot ask an Event whether it can be captured.

I'd actually like to have bubbling and capturing specified as orthogonal
dispatch mechanism such that an event can:

+ capture and bubble
+ capture and not bubble
+ not capture and bubble
+ not capture and not bubble

And also for event listeners to register for these orthogonally.

The last would be ideal for optimising controlled environments.

As I understand, currently capture implies not bubbles and bubbles implies
not capture.

If that is the case, I'm mildy disappointed at that design decision.

-John