Re: HTML dialogs

From: Taras Tielkes <t.r.tiekes@zap.a2000.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 19:13:02 +0200
To: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>, <www-dom@w3.org>
> >The early versions of Netscape added the "alert()" (and similar) methods
> [...]
> >Are there any plans for incorporating functionality like this in to a
> future
> >DOM spec?
>
> I don't think there are any plans. As far as I know, it isn't something
> we've looked at in detail.
>
> Alerts seem to be part of the information/decoration surrounding a
> presentation of the document (which I believe some folks have referred to
> as the tool's "chrome"), rather than part of the document per se. So
> personally I'm inclined to consider them out of the scope of the Document
> Object Model and refer this question to another committee. But it's
> possible that the Views And Formatting editorial team might want to make
> this part of their work; that's the portion of the DOM which comes closest
> to discussing rendering and presentation.

The dialog could be seen as just another document. The relevant methods
(something like "showDialog(...)" and a way to return, say, a ECMAScript
object as a result from the dialog) just provide a very thin connection
between the two documents.

I see that functionality like this is on the border of the DOM. But as it
is, none of the current w3 groups will take it, while there is a great
potentian for improvement of functionality.

Regards,
Taras