Re: namespaceURI parameter

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:58:51 -0400
To: Mikael Ståldal <d96-mst-ingen-reklam@d.kth.se>
CC: www-dom@w3.org
Mikael Ståldal wrote:

> > After a few emails, we clarified the spec as following:
> >
> > Note that although the XML specification defines that using the empty string
> > for a namespace URI is equivalent to unsetting the namespace, because the DOM
> > does no lexical checking, the empty string will be treated as a real namespace
> > URI in DOM Level 2 methods. Applications must use the value null as the
> > namespaceURI parameter for methods if they wish to have no namespace.
>
> I can't find this clarification in the new DOM2 PR.

[[[

DOM Level 2 doesn't perform any URI normalization or
canonicalization. The URIs given to the DOM are assumed to be valid
(e.g., characters such as whitespaces are properly escaped), and no
lexical checking is performed. Absolute URI references are treated as
strings and compared literally. How relative namespace URI references
are treated is undefined. To ensure interoperability only absolute
namespace URI references (i.e., URI references beginning with a scheme
name and a colon) should be used. Note that because the DOM does no
lexical checking, the empty string will be treated as a real namespace
URI in DOM Level 2 methods. Applications must use the value null as
the namespaceURI parameter for methods if they wish to have no
namespace.

]]]

-- Document Object Model Core
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/PR-DOM-Level-2-Core-20000927/core.html#Namespaces-Considerations