re: comment nodes

From: John G. Spragge <spragge@umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 05:20:11 -0400
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
Since writers often use comments in all languages to exclude
parts of a document or program from processing (what we
call "commenting out" source text, I would suggest that any
implementation that stores comments ought to store them as
unmodified strings.

Consider the effects of expanding on this common situation:

<?xml version=1?>

<!--
<!ENTITY a "a string"> -->

<!-- more text we don't want to display, with &a; -->

In fact, I would go so far as to allow embedded
CDATA sections in comments.

--
J. G. Spragge ---------- standard disclaimers apply
Essays on capital punishment and network ethics at