partial implementations

From: <ari@iln.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 01:02:29 -0700
To: www-dom@w3.org
> This allows the DOM APIs to be implemented as a
> thin veneer on top of legacy applications with their
> own data structures, or on top of newer applications
> with different class hierarchies

It is my understanding that it is legal for such applications to
implement only some of the interfaces defined in DOM. For example, few
legacy applications could make meaningful use of a
ProcessingInstruction.
What should such an application do, for example, in
createProcessingInstruction? Throw an error, silently return NULL or do
something entirely different?

Also, is DOMException HIERARCHY_REQUEST_ERR thouwn only when trying to
create a parent-child combination that is disallowed in DOM (such as
TEXT being parent to ELEMENT), or can it also be thrown when the
combination is allowed in DOM, but would violate local rules (a DTD or
the legacy application business logic)?

Ari Krupnikov