Re: namespaceURI parameter

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:02:20 -0400
To: Mikael Ståldal <d96-mst-ingen-reklam@d.kth.se>
CC: www-dom@w3.org
"Mikael Ståldal" wrote:
> Either way, I think it's important that the DOM2 spec makes it clear
> and explicit whether null or the empty string should be used, or if
> both are (must be) accepted.
>
> It's not very important which one is choosen, but I would prefer to use
> the empty string as no namespace and explicitly disallow null. That
> would be consistent with SAX2.

After a few emails, we clarified the spec as following:

Note that although the XML specification defines that using the empty string
for a namespace URI is equivalent to unsetting the namespace, because the DOM
does no lexical checking, the empty string will be treated as a real namespace
URI in DOM Level 2 methods. Applications must use the value null as the
namespaceURI parameter for methods if they wish to have no namespace.

Philippe