Re: DOM scripting XML documents

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:18:26 -0400
To: "stefano debenedetti" <debenedetti@e-tree.com>
cc: "www-dom" <www-dom@w3.org>
You can certainly define a convention for scripts in XML, and the DOM can
support it -- but the code to actually find the scripts, extract them, and
bind them to DOM events is outside the scope of the DOM and XML specs, so
this has to be defined by some higher-level standard, and implemented in
higher-level code.

Some existing XML-based languages define their own scripting. But
generally, the engines which implement interpreters (not just parsers) for
those languages also take responsibility for implementing their connections
to the script engine(s). If there's a cross-language standard for XML
scripting, I'm not aware of it, though I know there have been several
proposals and prototypes thrown out.

The "no-brainer approach on an XML supporting browser" would be to use XSLT
stylesheets to translate your XML document into a language which _does_
support scripting, and which the browser already knows how to render and
interact with.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research