Re: namespaceURI parameter

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:42:34 -0400
To: d96-mst-ingen-reklam@d.kth.se (Mikael Ståldal)
cc: www-dom@w3.org
>If the element or attribute one want to fetch has no
>namespace, should the namespaceURI parameter be null or the empty
>string?

In the Namespace spec, there is no difference between the empty string and
no namespace. ("The default namespace can be set to the empty string. This
has the same effect, within the scope of the declaration, of
there being no default namespace. ")

In the DOM, we say the Node.namespaceURI field is "null if it is
unspecified." As far as I can tell we don't, but probably should, say that
specifying "" is equivalent to specifying null.

Anyone disagree?

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research