doctype declaration

From: <PBrennan@lowandbonar.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:58:30 +0100
To: www-dom@w3.org
I use Internet Explorer 5 and I find that the <!doctype> declaration at the head
of  my pages is always assigned the node value document.childNodes[0], whereas I
expect  that node to correspond to <HTML>. Is this correct? - or is it a failure
fo IE5 to render the DOM correctly.

patrick brennan
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It
is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is
unauthorised.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may
be unlawful.