DOM-2 CSSValue.CSS_INHERIT

From: Glenn Adams <gadams@vgi.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 16:12:19 -0500
To: <www-dom@w3.org>

In Document Object Model (DOM) Level 2 Specification, Version 1.0, W3C Candidate Recommendation 07 March, 2000, under Section 5.2 CSS Fundamental Interfaces, under Interface CSSValue, regarding CSS_INHERIT:

It seems to me that the valueType CSS_INHERIT is orthogonal to the other three specified values of valueType (CSS_PRIMITIVE_TYPE, CSS_VALUE_LIST, CSS_CUSTOM). The latter three express important sub-type information, yet CSS_INHERIT expresses how the value came to be.

If one were to specify CSS_INHERIT, then sub-type information will be lost; if one were to specify sub-type information, then information about inheritence would be lost.

I'd suggest adding an additional boolean attribute to indicate inheritence rather than misusing the valueType attribute.

Regards,
Glenn Adams