RE: How can DOM possibly contain a document?

Bernard,

The DOM in script would look something like this:

var oStrong = document.createElement('STRONG')
var oText1 = document.createTextNode('Hello, ')
var oI = document.createElement('I')
var oText2 = document.createTextNode('I\'m ')
var oText3 = document.createTextNode('doing fine')

oI.appendChild(oText2)
oStrong.appendChild(oText1)
oStrong.appendChild(oI)
oStrong.appendChild(oText3)

As you can see, the STRONG element has three childNodes, a text node, an I
node(which contains a text node), and another text node.

I think the part you are missing is that the text in the STRONG element are
nodes themselves.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

-Tom