Re: Why not Node.insertAfter()?

From: Eric Richardson <maxwell@telesoft.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 11:32:24 -0700
To: keshlam@us.ibm.com
CC: DOM <www-dom@w3.org>
keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:

> node.insertAfter(newKid,refChild), if it existed, would be precisely
> equivalent to node.insertBefore(newKid,refChild.getNextSibling()).

So I guess I should interpret getNextSibling() as the next node at the
same level as the refChild? I thought sibling was a node with the same
tagname sort of like my lastname <richardson> which would be the same
for my siblings.

> Note that inserting before null means inserting at the end of the list, so
> the Right Thing should happen even in that case.  Also note that a
> shorthand in that case is node.appendChild(newKid).

So this means insert at the end based on the node's context.

These are obviously errant thoughts of a DOM mortal, based
on the english language, not the spec. I think I got it unless I said
something really wrong.

Thanks for the help,
Eric