Re: Namespace treatment

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 15:12:11 -0500
To: james.anderson@mecomnet.de
cc: www-dom@w3.org
>As they are immutable, were they to be interned, there would't need to
>be recreated. It's an old argument

I think that's a detail of how the DOM is implemented and how the
application drives it, rather than of how the API behaves. But your milage
may vary.

>As such, the namespace attributes have no purpose in the DOM

They have one important purpose: If anyone has written level-1 code that
provides its own namespace layer, discarding these attributes would break
it. We wanted to allow existing Level 1 code to continue running with a
Level 2 DOM, even if intermixing Level 1 and Level 2 calls more freely is
difficult.
Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research