Re: Adding Content to DOM

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 14:25:02 -0500
To: DOM <www-dom@w3.org>
>Is there a simple way to make sure that the document is valid when I add
>elements to it in memory?
>Hopefully in a portable way.

Not portably, in DOM Level 1 or Level 2. DOM Level 3 will address DTDs
(and, we hope, schemas). But given that we're still in the early
requirements phase for Level 3, it will be a while before this becomes
official.

For now, you'll have to rely on custom features built into the
parser/validator/DTD model you're using. There are certainly examples of
doing this; IBM's "Xeena" XML-editor relies on the fact that XML4J/Xerces
makes this information available.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research