Re: World DOMination

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:06:33 -0500
To: www-dom@w3.org
Sounds like what you want is a DOM API implementation that uses a database
as its back end. I believe there's a JDBC-based version of that on
http://www.alphaWorks.ibm.com.

I don't know the details of how they implemented getLength(). I'd note,
however, that in many situations getLength() doesn't have to be called --
you can iterate until the DOM returns null -- so if worst comes to worst
and it has to iterate through the recordset in advance to count the
members, that's entirely reasonable. Another solution, of course, is to
copy the data out of the recordset and then access the copy.

Keeping the NodeLists "live" is left as an exercise for the reader.
Personally, I avoid NodeList whenever possible.

"It's just a Simple Matter of Programming."

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research